Submissions for our Summer 2019 issue are open! Submit work by 11:59pm at March 31, 2019.
short stories. essays. melanin. Whether you’re an established writer or are just starting out, we want to hear from you!
midnight & indigo, a new literary magazine celebrating Black female writers, has issued a call for submissions to review short stories and narrative essays. We publish content on our digital platform and in our literary journals (paperback/ebook/audiobook).
Writers are invited to share their original, fictional or personal stories. Stories can funny, entertaining, serious or sincere. Stories must be character-driven and leave readers with something to think about, sparking a personal connection to their own lives. All genres are welcome!
** Click to submit a story HERE
How to Submit:
- Format: All submissions should follow proper manuscript format and Microsoft Word .doc format. We will not accept submissions that do not follow our guidelines. All stories must be submitted via Submittable — we will not accept stories via email. You may submit up to three stories at any time. Our average response time is 120 days.
- Word length: Short stories: min. 1,500 words. Narrative essays: min. 1,200 words
- Please note: Call for Submissions will be held on a rolling basis with deadlines three times per year: March 31st, August 31st and December 31st. Submission does not guarantee that your work will be published.
- Genres: All genres and writing styles are welcome. It may be helpful to view our current short stories, essays and literary journal to get a general sense of what we publish, but don’t be afraid to push!
- Compensation: We do pay for content. Information is available on our submissions site.
We ask for first North American serial rights on any story we publish. This means that the story should not have appeared anywhere else, either in print or online. (This includes publication on an author’s own website.). We accept first world eBook, print and audiobook rights, and non-exclusive anthology rights for our published anthologies. We also accept non-exclusive online rights to publish and archive your story on our website(s).
The author retains the sole, individual copyright on her contribution, and midnight & indigo retains the collective work copyright. You will be asked to agree to our contract as part of the submission process.
Click to submit a story HERE
Available now on Amazon, check out our current issue including short stories by 13 Black female writers; introducing characters that navigate between self-love and loss, new beginnings and inevitable endings, and a few things in between. Contributors include: Christian Loriel, Desiree Evans, Avi-Yona Israel, Wandeka Gayle, L.M. Bennett, DiAnne Malone, Muli Amaye, Tatiana Taylor, Kourtnie Rodney, Jacquese Armstrong, Candice Lola, Preslaysa Williams, and Ilisha Nicole. Download a sample today!
Photo credit: createHER stock